Have you ever had one of those big bread bowls filled with spinach artichoke dip? OMG, I could dip the bread cubes, pitas, veggies and my spoon in there all day! Since The Kid has a dairy allergy, that stuff (thankfully!) isn’t usually found in our house. I’m very grateful for that since I know I couldn’t resist it.
I’ve seen recipes for making a low fat version but there is still dairy involved in the way of greek yogurt and cream cheese. No go for us. I was poking around at recipes since I got a question about an ingredient substitution, when suddenly I was hit with a stroke of genius. Let me whip out my all purpose tofu and see what I can come up with!
I’ve used tofu in Magic Bars, Alfredo Sauce and Mushroom Lasagna so why not in a spinach and artichoke recipe. Yeah, why not indeed. I didn’t have a bread bowl so I went with the next best thing, and made a pizza version. LOL, you could easily skip the crust and just use this as a dip if that’s more your style.
Dairy Free and Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Pizza Bites
- 1 package Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough
- 9 oz (271g) firm tofu
- 1/4 cup (60g) Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
- 3 Tbsp (45g) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (8g) vegan parmesan cheese
- 4 cups (100g) chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 can (120g) artichoke hearts, drained
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Follow the instructions for your pizza dough in rolling it out. I rolled mine into a big rectangle for easier slice size, but the shape doesn’t really matter. Pre-bake the crust at 400 degrees for about 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and lower temperature to 375 degrees.
Blend the tofu, sour cream and mayo in your blender or Magic Bullet until smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients until well combined. Spread the mixture evenly over the pre-baked crust. Return to the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes until heated and the top starts to brown.
Remove from oven and cool slightly. Cut into 16 slices.
Makes 16 slices at approximately 100 calories each – 400 calories and 17g protein, 56g carbs, and 12g fat for a 4 slice serving.
- You can use any pizza dough here including the kind you get in a can, white pizza dough instead of whole wheat or even make your own. In a pinch, you can spread it on a pita bread crust or a flat wrap.
- The tofu is a sub for the cream cheese usually in this recipe. You can use any version of cream cheese if you prefer.
- I used dairy free parmesan, sour cream and mayo due to the dairy allergy, but you can use dairy versions instead including fat free and low fat. Another great sub is to use nonfat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
If you’re making just the dip without the crust, the macros are approximately 165 calories – 10g protein, 11g carbs, and 9g fat for 1/4 of the dip. It made a ton so 1/4 of the batch is about a heaping 1/2 cup as a ballpark serving estimate. You may be able to gather enough willpower to eat less. 😉
If you’re interested in working with me to get meals together fast while working towards your health goals, I’d love to chat. Drop me an email, or come on over to Facebook and ask a question.