I’m still playing around with variations of my Lenny & Larry’s Complete Cookie recipe. So far I’ve done birthday cake and chocolate chip. Today I’ve got a new variation for you, but I can’t really call it a copycat because it doesn’t yet exist in the Lenny & Larry line up. At least not that I was able to find. I searched and saw pumpkin spice, but there was no gingerbread to be found.
They start with the same basic recipe but have a few tweaks for the gingerbread flavor. They’re also still vegan and high in protein which is a bonus.
High Protein Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/4 cup (30g) white whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp (15g) vegan pea and rice vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tbsp (15g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp (14g) dairy free butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp (20g) molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add the butter and molasses. Mix with a fork to cream in the butter. The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Add the vanilla and water, and mix until the dough begins to come together.
Divide the dough in half and form each half into a small ball. I just rolled it a little between my palms. Put each ball onto a cookie sheet and press it flat to about 3 inches around and just under 1/2 inch thick. If you like, you can sprinkle the top with a pinch of sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
Makes 2 cookies at approximately 193 calories each – 8g protein, 29g carbs, and 5g fat.
- I used Orgain Vanilla Bean which is a vegan pea and rice protein blend. Vegan proteins are a different texture than dairy based proteins so keep this in mind if you try a different one. The pea and rice are closer in texture and holding power to flour than you get with whey or casein. They also add a little fiber to the cookies.
- I used Smart Balance Original Dairy Free Spread for my fats. I’ve seen recipes that use coconut oil so that may work but it could change the texture and taste.
So there you have it. My original high protein gingerbread cookie. Maybe Lenny & Larry will add it to their selection next holiday season and call it Copycat Adrianne’s Gingerbread Cookie. 😉 I can dream. If you’re interested in working with me to get meals together fast while working towards your health goals, I’d love to chat. Drop me an email, or come on over to Facebook and ask a question.