One of my favorite meals to get while I’m out is a burrito bowl from Chipotle. Beans, rice, chicken, spicy salsa. All the trimmings. Those things are so good. Chipotle does a pretty good job at sourcing their food from places without preservatives and other ingredients that you don’t want, but they are still pretty high on calories and sodium if you don’t really customize their bowls.
The other night I was craving a Chipotle bowl and figured that I’d try making a version of my own. I had all of the ingredients so it came together pretty well and didn’t take long. I probably made it in about the same time it took to drive to Chipotle and back. Can’t beat that. It definitely makes a difference to have grilled chicken ready to go at all times.
Grilled Chicken Bowl
- 1 cup (180g) uncooked brown rice
- 1 red jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger OR 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz sliced avocado
- 16 oz grilled chicken breasts
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
Cook the rice according to package directions. I used my rice steamer while I worked on the other parts of the recipe. Carefully remove the seeds from the jalapeno. Put the jalapeno in a blender or Magic Bullet along with the garlic, ginger, lime juice, and 1/4 cup of onion. Blend into salsa consistency and set aside.
Heat a pan over medium heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Add the remaining 3/4 cup on onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Remove 1/4 cup of the onion to save for the rice. Add the cumin and coriander to the pan with the 1/2 cup onion and cook for 1 minute to toast the spices a bit.
Add the black beans and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Smash some of the beans with the back of a spoon or mash with a fork. Stir to combine and thicken the beans and liquid. Cook for about 10 minutes until the beans are thickened. Remove from heat.
Once the rice has finished cooking, toss with the reserved 1/4 cup of onion and the cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste. Divide the rice evenly into 4 bowls. Add 1/4 of the bean mixture to each bowl along with 4 oz of sliced chicken breasts and 3 halved tomatoes. Crumble on 1 oz of the goat cheese and top with 1 oz of avocado. Add the red jalapeno salsa, as desired.
Makes 4 bowls at approximately 432 calories – 34g protein, 44g carbs, and 15g fat.
- You can vary the amount of jalapeno pepper to make the salsa more or less spicy. If you are serving kids, you can also use red bell pepper instead for a non-spicy version.
- You can change the amount of chicken breast to increase or decrease the protein to fit your macros. You can also use a different meat or even tofu. I had chicken breasts already grilled in my fridge so I used those.
- You can leave out the cheese for a dairy free version or you could use pepperjack, monterrey jack, cheddar or another cheese instead.
I used a lot of leftover ingredients that I had in my fridge since I try to use everything up before it goes bad. I used more of the goat cheese in my Grilled Chicken Dinner from the other night and in the Corn Salad with Goat Cheese. The corn salad also used part of the jalapeno pepper and is also in my Korean Beef Soup.
I liked that the recipe made 4 bowls so I actually have 2 more waiting for me in the fridge. Ha, saves me 2 more drives to Chipotle and back. 😉