Tiramisu is my favorite dessert ever. The creamy mountain of goodness is wonderful enough, but then you throw in espresso, chocolate and rum. Flavor explosion there for sure! The moment I see tiramisu anything, you can pretty much lay down a bet that I will order it or taste it somehow.
It was only a matter of time before I combined my two loves – tiramisu and the donut. It was meant to be. The fact that they are under 300 calories for three of them just makes it all the better. I used my homemade power cakes mix to make them so they have a nice punch of protein and they’re dairy free too.
Baked Tiramisu Donuts
- 1 cup (106g) power cakes pancake and waffle mix
- 1 Tbsp (14g) dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 scoop (30g) vanilla protein powder
- Pinch or two of baking cocoa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 6 hole donut pan with non-stick spray. Mix the first 6 ingredients (through the rum extract) in a bowl until well blended. Fill each donut hole about 2/3rds full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool before decorating or icing. Mix the scoop of protein powder with a little bit of water to make a frosting consistency. Spread the frosting on each donut and top with a small sprinkle of baking cocoa.
Makes 2 servings of 3 donuts each at approximately 295 calories – 25g protein, 33g carbs, and 7g fat.
- I used my homemade version of power cakes mix. You can also go with the real thing and use Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Mix.
- The butter I used is Smart Balance Original which is a dairy free butter substitute since The Kid has a dairy allergy. You can use a dairy based one if you prefer.
- I knew I was frosting these with my protein powder which is sweetened so I didn’t add sugar to the donuts themselves. If you prefer a sweeter donut or are eating them nekkid, you can add a tablespoon or two of sugar to the batter before baking.
Now I’m dreaming of all things tiramisu – waffles, pancake roll ups, dairy free tiramisu…